[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Starting Monday morning, April 13th, the Grand Avenue Bridge, running between Front Street and Quinnipiac Avenue will be closed for renovations. Concrete barriers will be placed across the access roads that approach the bridge. Detour signage at each end of the bridge will be activated and the clock will begin on the bridge’s closure, anticipated to run 18-20 months.
CT Transit’s alternate bus route during the bridge closure will use Clinton Avenue to Route 80 to Walmart, with a shuttle running between Walmart, East Grand and Bella Vista. Additional information can be found at cttransit.com/alerts.
Some highlights of the project will include:
• Replace cracked stones, reset loose stone, remove selected granite blocks no longer necessary.
• Demolish existing abutment backwalls and seats as necessary to accommodate new approach spans.
• Construction of new abutments on micropiles behind the existing structure.
• Replace existing bridge decks and parapets with an exodermic bridge deck, a steel bridge railing, and incorporate new preformed joint seals and asphalt plugs.
• Repair truss members, gusset plates, floor systems, portals and struts.
• Replace deteriorated fasteners.
• Clean and paint swing span structured steel.
• Reset catch basins.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]