Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

Fair Haven is proud to participate in the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) supplemental food program, a state and federally subsidized nutrition-focused program. WIC provides nutrition counseling and helps low-income mothers and their children buy nutritious foods. The program also provides support to pregnant and postpartum women as well as children up to age five.

What does WIC provide?

  • Nutrition education and individual time to speak with a Nutritionist
  • Breastfeeding education and support with Certified Lactation Counselors on staff and a Peer Counselor to help support you throughout your breastfeeding journey
  • Supplemental foods (through EBT card)
  • Food assistance and health care referrals to promote overall health and minimize nutrition-related health problems

Who is eligible?

WIC is for all kinds of families – Fathers, grandparents, foster parents, or legal guardians are encouraged to apply for their children. 

  • Pregnant women
  • Postpartum women (eligible for at least 6 months after birth/after pregnancy ends)
  • Breastfeeding women (up to 1 year after birth depending on breastfeeding amount)
  • Infants and children up to their 5th birthday

What are the eligibility requirements?

  • Live in Connecticut
  • Meet income guidelines
    • Participation in Husky A/C/D/Medicaid, Food Stamps (SNAP), or Temporary Family Assistance (TFA/TANF) automatically qualifies you for income
    • If no state assistance, you must meet WIC income guidelines set at or below 185% of poverty line (WIC staff can help determine this)
  • Complete a nutrition assessment with Nutrition staff

How to Apply

For more information and to apply, please contact 203-773-5007 or email wic@fhchc.org.

Learn More

To learn more about WIC program from the CT Department of Public Health, click  here.

For more information about WIC’s breastfeeding and support services, click here and here.

USDA Non-Discrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: https://www.usda.gov/sites/default/files/documents/USDA-OASCR%20P-ComplaintForm-0508-0002-508-11-28-17Fax2Mail.pdf, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. Updated 1/2021

To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email: program.intake@usda.gov.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.